Saturday 7 January 2017

Spotlight on..... Broad Ripple Yellow Tomato.

Review

The Broad Ripple Yellow Tomato has become my favourite eat off the bush tomato. It is an unusual bush with hundreds of little buds that keep on giving.

You can see the old small cage in there (see previous post)
It has a really cute little leaf on it and will sprawl if not supported properly. The tomatoes come on trusses of 8 to 10 tomatoes and they are golden yellow when ripe. They have a hard crunchy skin but not like the hard tasteless skin of store brought tomatoes. More of a crunch than "I can't get my teeth through this!!". They explode in your mouth as you crunch them with your teeth and give you a nice zingy taste that lingers in your mouth.

They are a large currant size and really would get lost in a salad I think. These are my "sit on the deck and eat straight off the bush" tomato and they rarely make it into the house. They really are delicious and I highly recommend these tomatoes as a pick and eat.

They experienced a bit of early blight but I think that could of been my lack of feeding (see last post). We had a few days of heavy rain and the ripe ones split. This can be fixed by picking ripe or ripening tomatoes before the rain or when it first starts.


This tomato is a prolific producer - if you squint you may be able to see all of the buds on this bush. I have circled them but it didn't come out very well. Believe me there are hundreds all over the bush.


A spray of unripe tomatoes.


Peeking through the branches you can spot a couple of ripe tomatoes and the golden colour. Note to self. Take some pictures before picking and eating ..... 😊😁

These will definitely be planted again next year.

Seeds: The Diggers Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment