Wednesday 18 January 2017

Spotlight on ...... Wapsipinicon Peach Tomato

Review

This is an unusual tomato as it has a slight fuzz on it - hence the Peach in the name. The fuzz isn't as pronounced as on a peach and you don't notice it when you eat it.

My bush is doing well and like most of my others, suffered from early blight due to improper feeding causing weak bushes. This was fixed with Dynamic Lifter.

Other than that the bush has been healthy. It produces well and takes about 10 weeks from transplant to harvest. Mine seemed to take a little longer than that, more like 14 weeks.




Cutting


I can only describe the skin as soft and "fleshy" to touch. Not thick or thin but a different feel to normal. Probably because of the slight fuzz. It cuts well and is juicy. The skin seems to mark easily as it is soft skinned - not thin but soft. It doesn't have the shine of a usual tomato skin.




Taste


Very low acid in this tomato. Great for people who can't tolerate the acidity of tomatoes. It has been described elsewhere as so sweet it could be a desert fruit..... To me it lacks that tang I am looking for.

Will I grow them again.


A big no for me as they don't really taste like a tomato to me and I miss that zing. This is just my opinion. I have read many great reviews for the taste..... I just like more acidity. Great for kids and people with low acid tolerance.

I am glad I grew them and tried it out as it is unusual.

Seeds: The Diggers Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment