Thursday 19 January 2017

Spotlight on ......... Tigerella Tomato

I LOVE this tomato. It was the first tomato that ripened for me to taste in my new vege garden. It is a stunning salad sized tomato and it a vibrant red with orange stripes. The skin is rather thin when completely ripe and it is a very juicy tomato.

This looks great in a salad and also tastes fab sliced on cracker and served with cheese.

This is a prolific bush and I do believe that it's producing season is long. It is a little prone to splitting so make sure you pick them early - don't leave them on the bush for too long.

It took about 10 weeks from transplant to harvest.

I purchased these as seedlings from the Digger's club and loved them so much I purchased the seeds too.


Today's crop

Cutting


Cuts well and holds together.


Taste


It has a sweet flavour with enough tang to make it taste good. It is not zingy like some of the more acidic tomatoes but has flavour and is nice to eat. It doesn't has as much depth as the darker / black tomatoes but it is a good clean taste.

Will I grow it again?


Absolutely - hence buying seeds after purchasing the seedlings. I will also save some from the plant. Children would love this unusual stripey tomato.

Seeds and Seedlings: The Digger's Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment