Sunday 22 January 2017

Spotlight on ......... Cucamelons

Review


Also known as Mouse Melons, Mexican Sour Gherkin or Sanditta. I planted these as a novelty and something else to put into my salads.

Again, I made the mistake of thinking small fruit - small pot - and hence put a few in hanging pots (2 in 1 pot and 1 in another pot). After seeing other people's photos of a massive vine I thought I would have problems but they seem to be going well.





They take a long time to produce but suddenly you will have a whole lot of tiny little melons. They are very small and can easily fit into a teaspoon.

Like most fruit / vegetables the cucamelon is packed with goodness.
Lypocene, a carotenoid found in large quantity in melon, improves cardiac functions.
Beta carotene, known for its remarkable antioxidant and anti-aging properties, also keeps you young at heart and prevents age-related cardiac problems.
The roughage in melon and its very low energy, along with help from vitamin-C, carotenoids and potassium helps to reduce cholesterol and keep your heart safe from a variety of dangerous conditions.
Melons also contain phytonutrients which have very good effects on the health and proper functioning of internal organs, eyes, and the secretion system.
                               Source: https://berryfruit.info/cucamelon-fruits-health-benefits
Here are a couple picked and ready to eat. I have shown them below next to a cherry tomato for size.
Cute aren't they?
 
Shown next to a Black cherry tomato to show relative size. They are very small.



Taste.


These are supposed to taste like cucumbers with a hint of lemon or lime. I somewhat agree but would add very watered down. The flavour is not strong at all. The first time I tasted one I didn't quite get a flavour. I was expecting the flavour to hit me in the face - especially as they are known as Mexican Sour Gherkin. The next time I concentrated and could taste the cucumber and lemon.

Will I plant them next year?


Yes - they are fun and I will plant them hanging again and they won't take up much space. There is only 2 of us here at Chez BeaJay so we don't need a massive crop. They are very cute and I am enjoying munching on them in salads and straight off the vine.

Seeds: The Digger's Club

No comments:

Post a Comment