Monday 16 January 2017

Spotlight on....... Jaune Flamme

Review

Jaune Flamme is a bright orange salad tomato the size of a golf ball. My bush seems to be going well. It had some early blight but that could have been due to being underfed at first. It is very striking and almost luminous or fluorescent. The skin is shiny and smooth and they really stand out in the bush.

It is quite a prolific producer and one they start ripening you will get quite a few coming through.

The below show them on the bush but not yet ripe enough to pick - I made the mistake of picking the first one when yellow and unripe. The name is misleading as Jaune is yellow in French - leading me to believe yellow means ready to pick. The name should be D'orange Flamme however I guess that doesn't sound as good. The flamme part is right as it does almost glow.

The second picture shows them ripe and orange.





Here is a ripe one ready to taste.


Cutting


The skin is not thick or thin so it cuts well. I would use it in salads as it is not quite big enough for a slicing tomato unless you are putting it on Cruskits / crackers etc.

A couple of small blemishes on the bottom that I cut off before tasting. BTW - this is not the above tomato. I am saving that for a salad :-)  This one had a little split in it so I cut that one.

Taste


It has a quite nice taste to it. Enough zing to satisfy the tomato lover and a lingering flavour on the tongue.

Will I grow this next year.


The jury is still out.. It is a lovely tomato, tasty, quite striking in the salad bowl and a great producer. There are however many more tomatoes to try and this one is not a blow your socks off in my mind. I have just eaten my first one so after a few salads I will know better.

Seeds: The Diggers Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment